Herrick, South Dakota
On the National
Register of Historic Places, this building was
the first of three elevators built along the railroad at
it is the last to remain standing. The elevator
operated from 1907 to 1997.
For a schematic drawing of an elevator,
For information of Joseph Dart's first wooden
elevator, go Here.
|Head House-- home to the
which (you guessed it) distributes the grain.
A big funnel has a moveable hole that is
aimed into the correct storage bin. Grain
falls by gravity into its new place of storage.
Hip--roofline that creates transition
storage bins to cupola (or head house)
Leg--conveyor belt of cups that brings
grain from boot to head house
Boot--a cement storage bin below ground.
Trucks dump their grain into a grate
in the floor of the Drive-Through. It drops
by gravity to the Boot where the cups of a
conveyor belt scoop it up and carry it up
Attached Tin Shed--built in 1968 by the
Waterbury Brothers, then owners of the
Drive-Through--a lean-to attached to
of the elevator. Wagons (and later, trucks)
could drive through the structure for shelter
as they loaded or unloaded grain
Scale House-- Office, a warm place from
which to read the scale. Farmers weighed
both empty and heavy, so elevator owners
spent a lot of time at the scale